Welcome

Find out what the Crossroads community is reading and discover a good book for yourself, too.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

What are you reading this summer?

I just read The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. The narrator is Grace, a 22 year old newlywed who is likely now a widow and is adrift in a lifeboat with 38 other survivors from the wreck of an ocean liner.  Here is what author Tim O'Brien (The Things They Carried) has to say on the book jacket: "The Lifeboat is a spellbinding and beautifully written novel, one that will keep readers turning pages late into the night.  This is storytelling at its best, and I was completely absorbed from beginning to end."

What are you reading?  Take a moment to comment on this post so we can share book recommendations.  Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. This is a test comment from Sharon. I also read How Georgia Became O'Keefe, an entertaining, short book about O'Keefe's creative development and her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been immersed in reading for my doctoral exams until last month, I am trying to read some "just for fun" novels before I gear up for the new year; I just finished _The Devil All the Time_ by Donald Ray Pollock, a Southern Gothic novel that follows various ne'er-do-wells over a twenty year span after WWII. The book is riveting and vibrant, but a caveat: Pollack's stuff is what is often called "gritty" and he sometimes (like Faulkner, like O'Connor) seems to revel in shocking readers. Now I am on to 11/22/63, Stephen King's speculative fiction novel about a man who, through a quirk in the universe, is able to slip back in time and is determined to prevent JFK's assassination. So far, so good, but I'm only a quarter through the 843 page book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I liked 11/22/63, Josh. You've got some good surprises coming up. It was the first Stephen King novel I've read. I tried to read Salem's Lot when I was a teenager and I was too scared to continue.

      Delete
    2. I have mostly been doing home improvement projects, but I thought I should do some reading as well. So why not read some of the books that our students read that I have not? So I read Catcher in the Rye and am now on The Great Gatsby.

      Delete